The FAO Conference in June 2013 unanimously endorsed World Soil Day on 5th December and requested the 68th UNGA to have it officially adopted.
On 24 April 2013 at the 146 FAO Council, FAO member Countries endorsed the request from the Kingdom of Thailand in the framework of the GSP for the proclamation of the International Year of Soils 2015.
IUSS Activities for International Year of Soils 2015 include:
- Global Soil Security Symposium, Texas A&M University, College Station, Texas, May 19-21 2015. https://globalsoilsecurity.tamu.edu/index.html
- The 4th Global Workshop on Proximal Soil Sensing, Sensing Soil Conditions and Functions, Hang Zhou, China, May 12-15 2015. http://www.gwpss2015.com/
- Global Workshop on Digital Soil Morphometrics, University of Wisconsin, Madison, June 1-4, 2015. http://digitalsoilmorphometrics.org/
- Pedometrics Conference, Cordoba, Spain, 15- 18 Sep 2015. http://www.pedometrics.org/
- IUSS Conference on the International Year of Soils and the 350th Anniversary of Christian Albrechts University. Soil functions and climate change- do we underestimate the consequences of new disequilibria in soil properties? SUSTAIN Christian Albrechts University, Kiel, Germany, 23-25.Sept. 2015. http://www.soils.uni-kiel.de/de/sustain-2015
- 5th International Symposium on SOIL ORGANIC MATTER. September 20-24, 2015, Göttingen, Germany, www.som2015.org
International Activities include:
The third Global Soil Week, April 19 – 23, 2015, in Berlin, Germany. For more details, visit: http://globalsoilweek.org/ Facebook ( https://www.facebook.com/pages/Global-Soil-Week/329677227185341).